Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Christmas Surprise!...Part 1

This blog is the first in a LONG line of blogs that must be posted and will be posted all in due time.

Friday, December 21st, Kevin took the day off work to take Mason to the Doctor. Well, yes he did take Mason to the Doctor and we DID have to get an antibiotic for strep throat; however, we were secretly grateful for Mason's need to see the Doctor. You see we had been planning on sneaking out of town that day of days and heading off to Oklahoma. Yes, we crazy people decided with my brother, Joshua, and his wife, Adele, to surprise our family for Christmas. He left from Utah and we left from Maryland that Friday with the plan of meeting in Oklahoma the next day and surprising our folks and sisters.

We had great weather, excepting the light rain that was coming down therefore made it impossible to set the cruise control. :( (I love driving with cruise control!) However, our weather challenges were nothing compared to Josh and Adele's. They got stopped in Rock Springs, Wyoming at 5pm because I-80 had been closed from there to Laramie for the evening. They had to stay in a dirty old motel, but did get to see "Enchanted" at the local theater. :)

Our first 150 miles were our slowest (it took us 3.5 hours just to get that far! yuck!!). When we left town (with our car packed to the hilt) Leah was suspicious and asked us what we were doing, where were we going, were we going camping? what? We told her we were going to take a long drive and our destination was a surprise, and yes we would be camping, sort of. We stopped at a McDonalds hoping to find a Playplace for the kids to get some wiggles out. When we found that they didn't have one we sat in the van for a while discussing our drive. As Kevin and I were consulting our route Leah started to have a melt down in the back seat that went something like this:

"I miss my toys," sniff, sniff.
Kevin and I looked at each other.
"..they are going to be lonely without me..."
Again Kevin and I look at each other than back at Leah.
"I miss my bed, it's so soft and comfy. I want my bed. I want to go home," sniff, sniff, tear, tear.
In hushed voices, with Leah continuing her tearful entreaty, Kevin and I decide to let Leah in on the big secret and ask her if she wishes to continue.
"Leah, would you like to be part of a BIG secret?" Kevin asked calmly. Through tear-filled eyes Leah looked at her father and nodded slowly.
"Well, we are driving to Oklahoma to surprise Grandma Annette and Grandpa. Heather, Kristen and Nicole will be there. Doesn't that sound like fun?"
"Yeah, but I miss my bed..." a few tears dropped down her cheeks.
"But you haven't heard the biggest, best part. Would you like to know what that is?"
With big eyes still filled with tears she once again nodded slowly.
"Uncle Josh and Aunt Adele are going to Grandma's house too. We're all going to get there and surprise Grandma, Grandpa, Kristen, Heather and Nicole. What do you think?"
Really, before Kevin could even finish what he was saying Leah broke in with, "Josh and Adele!!! I love Josh and Adele! Let's go to Grandma's house!"
So sorry, Grandma, Grandpa and all you aunts, but Uncle Josh and Aunt Adele were the big deal maker for this 5 year old.

4 comments:

merrilykaroly said...

Awww that brought a tear to my eye. Leah is a sweetie.

Anonymous said...

Little kids always put things in perspective don't they? I love how they get so excited (and sad) over things.

Cami said...

Nice. And like unto when my kids could care less about a cruise until Emily and KC were coming. Sheesh!

Deb said...

that's so funny! they love those aunts and uncles, don't they?

it's fun, though, that you were able to keep it a surprise as long as you did.